Young Artist Competition
The New England Philharmonic has held a Young Artist Competition each year since 1994. This year, our winning soloist, 15-year-old violinist Sammy Andonian performed with the New England Philharmonic at their annual Family Concert on December 15th, 2013 at Boston University’s Tsai Performance Center.
PLEASE CHECK BACK IN FEBRUARY 2014 FOR DETAILS ON NEXT SEASON’S COMPETITION.
Each musician candidate must meet all of the following requirements:
- Candidate shall not have reached their 18th birthday by the scheduled performance date.
- Candidate must not have graduated from high school prior to the scheduled performance date.
- Candidate must be a resident of New England.
- Candidate must not have been a previous first place winner of the competition.
- Candidate must be available for at least two rehearsals, dates TBD.
- The Young Artists Competition is open to all orchestral instruments including piano, harp, saxophone, percussion.
- Candidates should prepare and memorize a concerto, a movement from a concerto, or other piece for soloist with orchestra, not to exceed 15 minutes in length. It is unlikely that a candidate will be given the opportunity to perform the entire movement he/she has prepared. In some cases, judges will ask for specific sections from the prepared material.
- Auditions will be adjudicated by a small panel composed of the Music Director and musician(s) from the orchestra. The panel will make a decision within a week following the competition, and the winner and finalist(s) will be announced at that time. Judges’ comments will remain private.
- Candidates must provide their own accompanists.
- Candidates must acquire approval from their teacher by providing their name and signature on the application form.
- To help defray the costs associated with the competition, candidates must remit a $25 processing fee with their applications.
- All applications and fees need to be received by TBD
- Auditions will be scheduled on a first come, first serve method based upon when both the application and processing fee are received. Auditions will not be scheduled until the $25 process fee is received.
How to Take Part
To sign up for auditions, please complete the following steps:
- Download the application form.
- Send back the completed application form to the New England Philharmonic either by emailing a scan of the document to email@example.com with “Young Artist Competition” in the email subject line (highly preferred) or via mail.
- Request link to pay fee online via Paypal below (highly preferred) or mail in a $25 check made payable to the New England Philharmonic.
Please send all mail to the following address:
New England Philharmonic
c/o Young Artist Competition
P.O. Box 231168
Boston, MA 02123
You will receive email notification when the application and processing fee are received, and a follow up email with the audition time. For any questions, please contact Andrew Leeson, General Manager of the New England Philharmonic at firstname.lastname@example.org